Our goal is to help our residents continue to live meaningful and fulfilling lives during their stay with us. Their happiness and well-being are our top priorities. To accomplish this, we rely on the help and support of our local community and people like you who volunteer.
Volunteer involvement can make a world of difference in the lives of our residents. By talking, listening, sharing experiences, and participating in activities or events, volunteers can touch the hearts, minds and spirits of our residents. Our volunteers are critical to the success of our mission. When you join us as a volunteer, you will be a part of a dedicated team working to promote health, enhance well-being and enrich lives.
How to become a volunteer
To become a volunteer at Clatsop Care Health & Rehabilitation Center:
- Fill out and return a Volunteer Application
- Review the various Volunteer Opportunities available and indicate on your application how you would like to be involved
- Consent to a criminal background check and TB test (provided by Clatsop Care Health District at no cost to the volunteer)
- Attend a one-on-one interview with the Quality of Life staff
- Sign a Confidentiality Agreement
- Sign our Resident's Bill of Rights
- Volunteer a minimum of 100 hrs annually (or at least 3-4 times per month)
Once your application has been received, our quality of life staff will contact you for a brief interview. During that time, you will be provided with additional information about volunteering at Clatsop Care Health & Rehabilitation Center along with a tour of our facility.
Click here to view our current Volunteer Opportunities
Benefits of volunteering
Here are just a few reasons why people volunteer:
- To make a difference in someone's life
- To share expertise and keeping skills current
- To meet new friends
- To develop leadership, communication and team-building skills
- To gain work experience
- To build self-esteem and self-confidence
- To earn academic credit
- To build your resume
- To experience new opportunities and challenges
- To live a creative and fulfilling life!
For more information, please contact:
Life Enrichment Coordinator
503.325.0313 x 222
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Activity Aide - Volunteers assist with recreational activities for our residents including programs and activities in music, bingo, exercise, games, trivia, discussion groups, arts & crafts or entertainment. Please see our Activity Calendar for a list of this month's activities. Volunteers are needed weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
- CCHD Auxiliary - Besides being FUN, joining our Auxiliary is a great way to make new friends while supporting a great cause. Since 1990 the Auxiliary has worked to support a wide range of activities for our residents, such as providing our residents with sight-seeing bus trips around the community, bingo prizes, trips to the beauty/barber shop, birthday and seasonal holiday parties, arts & crafts supplies, as well as entertainment. The Auxiliary also spends time visiting with our residents; sometimes just to lend their ear to the collection of life stories so many of our residents enjoy telling. The Auxiliary meets once per month on the fourth Tuesday, September-June. Membership is open to anyone interested in advancing and enriching the mission of CCHD.
- Compassionate Companions - Put your compassion into action by providing a calming and comforting presence to residents in time of crisis or transition. This could include residents in the terminal process, residents newly diagnosed with catastrophic or terminal illness, new admissions or residents with unresolved issues of pain or anxiety. Your presence as a trained volunteer can provide comfort and solace. Training is provided. Volunteers work on an on call basis. This is truly a special opportunity.
- Friendly Visitor - Help Clatsop Care Center provide that extra special TLC by becoming a friend to an elderly resident, visiting, chatting, playing games, reading, writing letters, and taking walks. Or other one-on-one activities can significantly enrich the lives of our residents. Volunteers are needed weekdays, evening, or weekends.
- Happy Hour Host/Hostess - Help us keep the residents happy at Happy Hour! Our residents enjoy this spirited social hour every Friday afternoon from 3:30-4:30pm. Volunteers must be 21 years of age.
- Munchies and a Movie - Volunteers play a movie while cooking up scrumptious treats to serve the residents. This takes place every Wednesday evening at 6:30PM. The menu and movie are already picked out- just pop in the DVD and lend your culinary skills to prepare the evenings goodies.
- Pet Pals - Animals can be a great source of comfort and affection for our residents. Volunteers assist residents in caring for our facility pets, including cleaning and feeding of our animals, or by bringing in their own pet for a friendly visit. A variety of pets are welcome although we ask volunteers to phone ahead of time for approval. All visiting pets must first comply with our Pet Policy.
- Soothing Sounds - Use your musical talent to bring healing and comfort. Play music, sing, or hum a hymn to create a peaceful and calming environment for our residents, families, and staff. Times vary according to volunteer's schedule.
- Special Events - Come celebrate with us! We love to party! We have programs and parties for all major holidays and most miner ones too! We have special occasion celebrations and activities, holiday decorating, birthday parties, BBQs and picnics where volunteers play an important role in assisting staff and accompanying residents. Please see our Activity Calendar for a list of this month's events and celebrations.
- Spiritual Services - Bring joy and companionship to residents by attending weekly religious services. Volunteers are needed to accompany residents to service and other faith sharing activities on Tuesday mornings and Sunday afternoons at 2PM.
- Bingo - Join the fun and help our residents with one of their favorite games, bingo. Volunteers are needed for Saturday morning bingo at 10:30 am.
- Department Support - We can always use an extra hand in the office! Some of our needs are-organizing magazines, music and movies, craft supplies, decorations, donations, setting up for events and projects.
Future groups we are interested in starting:
- Clatsop Care Fresh Air Club - Help our residents get a breath of fresh air!
- Gardening Group - Have a green thumb? We do and are itching to get out and get to work in our beautiful Healing Garden.
Interested in getting involved? Call the Quality of Life Department at 503.325.0313 ext. 216, 222 or 220 for more information, or complete our volunteer application.